In 1905 the Blessed Mother wanted to once more confirm her motherly concern toward
our poor people. So, between December 3-19, and again on December 30 and 31,
her miraculous Icon once again shed tears for the third time. It was once more
witnessed by a great number of the people, including many priests of both Rites.
Informed about a new weeping of the Blessed Mother, Bishop Julius Firczak of
Mukachevo ( 1891-1912) immediately sent a Special Commission to Mariapovch headed
by our famous liturgist, Canon Alexander Mikita. The Commission started its work
on January 2, 1906.
The numerous witnesses of both Rites, including even some Protestans, came
forward to testify, but the Commission heard only 60 of them. The Icon first
was taken out of the iconostasis and inspected by three experts, who unanimously
agreed thet there was no fraud involved. Then 57 witnesses testified under
oath that they saw with their own eyes the Icon of the Blessed Mother shed
The Episcopal Commission ended its investigation on January 12, 1906, when
it issued an official statement, saying that the shedding of tears was miraculous
and should be ascribed to divine intervention. The statement was read before
the Icon by Canon A. Mikita during the Akathistos services, after which he
delivered a moving sermon about the omnipotence of God and about the great
love of the Blessed Mother toward our people.
No wonder our Ruthenian people responded with such a great love toward the
Blessed Mother and came from all corners of the vast Mukachevo eparchy to venerate
Her miraculous Icon in Mariapovch, through which the “Mother of the Ruthenian
land” showed Her mother love and compassion toward our people in a visible