Shrine of Mariapoch – Hungary
The present Marian Shrine in Mariapovch was built between 1731-1756, in baroque
style, under the auspices of Count Francis Karoliy. It was dedicated by Bishop
M. Olshanvskij of Mukachevo in honor of St. Michael. He was buried in the crypt
of the church in 1767. Unfortunately, during 1945 remodeling of the church,
the Ruthenian inscription of his grave was replaced with one in Hungarian,
just to erase any trace of the shrine’s Ruthenian origin.
The iconostasis was made by two Basilian monks, Michael Spalynskyj and his
brother Thaddeus in 1785-1788. In 1896, the miraculous Icon was palced over
the Royal Doors, when four new main icons for the iconostasis were painted
bu the artist Julius Spishak. In 1945, our famous artist Joseph Bokshay designed
a magnificent baroque side altar, where the miraculous Icon was then enthroned.
In 1948, Pope Pius XII decorated the Mariapovch shrine with the ‘Honors and
privileges of a Minor Basilica”, conferred only on very important churches.